From humble beginnings as a small golf course during the reign of Queen Victoria, Duns Golf Club has developed into a spectacular and acclaimed venue for the current day golfer. Formed on the 9th November 1894 at a meeting of the local Working Men’s Social Club, the original members were able to play over a 9-hole course at Castleknowes to the east of the town.
The first President of the Club was R.M Hay of Duns Castle, and the association with the Hay family continues to this day with the present owner of Duns Castle, Mr. A.D. Hay, being the current President of the Club.
After the Great War the Club sought new ground and in 1920 a lease was granted for the present site to the west of Duns at Woolforland Park. A.H. Scott, a golf professional from Elie in Fife, was engaged to lay out the course – his fee was two pounds ten shillings! – and the new course, still 9 holes, was opened in the spring of 1921. Initially the course incorporated what is now a field at the top of the present course.
However the members soon realised that target practice from an adjoining rifle range made putting on the then third green rather hazardous!! Consequently the top holes were closed with additional land leased on the site of the present first and eighteenth holes. In 1971 the Club took the opportunity to purchase the land from Duns Castle Estate. In 1994 further land was acquired which allowed the course to be extended to a full 18 holes and the course as it is presently laid out was opened for play in 1997.
A prominent feature of the layout is the Wellrig Burn which meanders its way through the lower part of the course. The design also takes full advantage of the spectacular views over the Tweed valley – known locally as the Merse – to the Cheviot Hills and Northumberland in the distance.
In 1998, as a first phase in the re-development of the Clubhouse, a lounge/dining area and professional kitchen facilities were added. This was followed in 2006 by the addition of modern changing facilities and the Club office.